Mr Whippy is turning 50 and as a way of saying thanks so much to you New Zealand for supporting us for the past 50 summers, we are giving away 20,000 ice creams all around our beautiful country on Saturday 29th of March 2014 with any gold coin donation (with all donations going to Child Cancer Foundation). The giveaway will be for 250 ice creams per van so be in quick. Our stores will be giving away over 1,000 ice creams per store! For information on where your local Mr Whippy will be on the 29th of March and the time they are starting their giveaway, click here.
A Brief History of Mr Whippy
- Dominic Facchino is accredited with starting Mr Whippy. From Italian decent but born in
England, Dominic was excited having visited the US in 1958 and having seen the
"Mr Softee" ice cream trucks in operation. His family were from an ice cream
background and set up his own business, "Mr Whippy" in 1958 with a pilot of 6 vans
in Birmingham, UK;
- Early in 1964, having had success setting up Mr Whippy in Australia in 1962, Dominic
Facchino decided to also enter the New Zealand market on a master franchised basis;
- 24 vans (pink and cream) were constructed in the UK and shipped from Birmingham
in time for the summer of 1964;
- The public response to Mr Whippy in New Zealand was phenomenal and the fleet
quickly grew to 50 company run vans by the end of the 1960's. The Mr Whippy
vans were beautiful Austins and the same as in the UK coloured pink and white;
- There are now over 60 Mr Whippy vans and two exciting Mr Whippy stores in
Auckland Queenstown. The current owners of Mr Whippy are reinvigorating the
special piece of New Zealand by adding more vans to the fleet and opening
a number of fixed stores around New Zealand.
- For a more detailed history of Mr Whippy, click here.
Our Big Birthday Bash - 29th March 2014
- Mr Whippy is 50!!
- To help celebrate our 50th birthday, we'd like to say a HUGE thank you to you New Zealand. Thanks for all your support for the past 50 summers and we couldn't have done it without you.
- To say thanks, Mr Whippy is giving away 20,000 ice creams all around New Zealand on Saturday, 29th March 2014 with a gold coin donation per ice cream. All money raised will be going to Child Cancer Foundation so come along on the 29th of March and support a fantastic cause.
- Each van will be giving away 250 ice creams so be in quick. Our two stores will be giving away over 1,000 for each store.
- For information on where your local Mr Whippy will be on the 29th of March and the time of the start of their giveaway of ice creams, click here.
- In Auckland, starting at around 10am there will be a convoy of the Auckland Mr Whippy vans on the 29th. We shall be departing from around the Takapuna area at 10am and crossing the Harbour Bridge around 10.10am. We will be working our way along Ponsonby Road, Karangahape Road and down Queen Street at around 1030am. The convoy will then proceed along Tamaki Drive so come and see our Auckland fleet of Mr Whippy vans.
"Where's Whippy" Photo Competition
- During March and April 2014, send your favourite photo's of you and your local Mr Whippy or you at one of our Mr Whippy stores to us and be in to win your street free Mr Whippy Ice Creams!
- Photo entries can be both past and present.
- There are 5 chances to win and so 5 lucky streets in New Zealand will be shouted free Mr Whippy Ice Creams for the best 5 photo's as judged by our professional photographer.
- Send your entries / photo's to email@example.com before the 30 April 2014 to be in to win. Winners will be announced in early May and please note that each Street is limited to 175 free plain Mr Whippy Ice Creams.
- To see some of the "Where's Whippy" photo entries so far, click here. Also check out our Facebook page (Mr Whippy NZ) to see some of the entries.
- In honour of Mr Whippy turning 50, we've launched a new 50th Anniversary
Mr Whippy Ice Cream - The "Whippy Gold".
- Be sure to get one soon!
Thanks to Our Suppliers
- A Special thanks to Tatua Dairy Co-operative and Davis Trading for all
their special support with our 50th Birthday Anniversary.